Hello friends! Today I would like to share one of my most used card layouts – a “circle” as a small scene background with critters (it’s much less intimidating to me than creating an scene using the entire card front). You’ll see me use this often but I think changing up the specifics always gives it a different look. For example, there are lots of options for creating the scene background:
- In this case, I used a die cut circle with a flat bottom. You could also try a full circle, oval, rectangle – pretty much any shape!
- You could also use a stencil (or create your own with a die cut) and just stencil onto your card front.
- Check your stash for stamps that might also make a good background (or use any background stamp along with a shaped stencil).
For this card, I started by creating an ink blending panel using Peacock Feathers and Seedless Preserves Distress Oxide Inks (no Blueprint sketch here – that’s just the awesome blue those colors create when mixed together!).
Next, I die cut that panel first using the Crafty Twinkle Slimline Die and then cut a semi-circle from that panel using a die similar to the Stitched Semi-Circle Die from Sunny Studio Stamps. I also cut a second panel from silver glitter cardstock from the same semi-circle die to layer underneath.
I glued both panels together using liquid adhesive and then attached to the card front using foam tape for added dimension.
Now to add some critters! I decided to use the Owl Yours stamp set from Crafty Meraki. I stamped the images using a Copic friendly ink and colored them with a combination of light gray markers (C00, C1, C3, W00, W1, W3, W5). I was going for the look of a white owl to pop on the bright background I had already created.
I then attached them to the background with foam adhesive and finished the card with a simple sentiment that would work for any occasion (I’m thinking I will use this for a baby card). This sentiment is from the Floral Hugs stamp set by Crafty Meraki.
If you find yourself overwhelmed at creating scene cards, be sure to give this simplified version a try!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
- Owl Yours stamp set by Crafty Meraki
- Floral Hugs stamp set by Crafty Meraki
- Crafty Twinkle Slimline Die by Crafty Meraki
- Stitched Semi-Circle Die by Sunny Studio Stamps (similar)
- Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide Ink
- Seedless Preserves Distress Oxide Ink